Meditation is one of the most important tools you can possibly learn, and the earlier you start, the better chance you’ll have of sitting at the top of yogi mountain at a ripe old 80.
In terms of stress relief, you can’t pick a better tool. Meditation is a way of consciously regulating your subconscious mind’s reaction to triggers.
When you’re walking along the pavement, and trip over an uneven slate, there’s a choice that needs making. Do you fret about it, or shrug it off? Decisions like that have to be made over the course of the day, and the results stack up. And meditation can play a big part in making you pick the sensible options.
This is why I’ve meditated each day for nearly a year now. All the training is pretty much useless if I’m going to walk around in a stress bubble, perceiving negativity whenever possible.
And if you’re adamant that you’re too busy and productive to be stuck in one spot for ten minutes, then you’ll be one of those with the most to gain.
Taking that time off will actually allow the brain to become more focused and productive, potentially taking a fraction of the time to finish off a task that would otherwise have you slogging away for hours.
Here’s Week 3 of Bulletproof Meditation.
1. Find a quiet spot where you won’t be disturbed. Sit however you’re most comfortable. Don’t twist into a position that’s just going to have you battling for your life.
2. Set the timer for ten minutes.
3. Close your eyes and start following the breath. Count for ten breaths.
4. Now it’s time for the new feature, the body scan. Start focusing on small sections on the surface of your body, starting from your toes, and slowly progressing up towards your head.
5. With each breath, focus on how that section reacts to the in and the out of the breath. You should be able to feel changes in sensation.
6. If you want bigger biceps, take some extra time here.
7. Once you make it to the head, think about five things you’re grateful for. Don’t fake it.
8. When the timer hits, take a self-check to see if you’re feeling any different to when you started the session.
9. Repeat this daily.
Next up on Week 3 will be Fasting. Subscribe below to get the article when it hits, and have a roam through my blog to see what else you can find for your lockdown fitness fixes.