Keto flu can feel like part and parcel of the first few weeks of keto, but it’s a problem that comes with an easy fix. Keep your electrolytes up, and stay hydrated. The body responds to the drop in insulin levels by releasing too much sodium, and the resulting deficiency producing many of the confounding symptoms.
A serving of bone broth gives you a blast of both electrolytes and water, while being ridiculously filling considering the calorie content. It’s practically an essential for surviving days of fasting.
Test out this simple recipe the next time you find yourself in the kitchen with some meat handy.
What You’re Getting Into
What You’ll Need
2kg beef bones, or lamb, or a combination of the two
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped (optional)
green peas (optional)
1 whole garlic unpeeled & slightly crushed (optional)
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
fresh thyme or fresh parsley
1 tbsp vinegar
300g beef mince
1. Preheat the oven to 225°C
2. Place bones in a baking dish with sides. Brush the bones with melted coconut oil, coating thoroughly.
3. Roast until the bones are properly browned. This will take about 1-1.5 hours; turn once, about half way through. Add a cup or two of water towards the end to prevent the juices and flavors accumulating in the dish from burning.
4. Place the bones, meat, herbs, vegetables (if using), and vinegar into the slow cooker. Fill the slow cooker with water, completely covering the ingredients. Set the temperature to low, and cook for 12-18 hours. The broth is done when it’s deep brown in color and deeply flavorful. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Strain the broth into a bowl using a mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Cool broth to room temperature and then transfer to airtight container(s).
The Protein keto cookbook is releasing today as part of the fit awakening membership. sign up below and get a bonus home workout programme.
All Access Membership for £9.99
Band Workouts, Keto Cookbooks, Custom Meal Plans, Bulletproof Habits....And It Doesn't Stop There.
Carnivore Diet Coach And Personal Trainer