There’s plenty of reasons for getting more collagen in your diet. It’s a great source of glycine, which is a powerful antioxidant that also contributes to bone, skin, and muscular structure. Why else do Asians generally have such good skin? It may well be their love of collagen products.
So it’s already a super nutrient. And in the case of a carnivore-styled, zero carb diet, collagen plays a role in maintaining a balance between methionine and glycine levels. Simply put, muscle meat is loaded with methionine, and it’s possible to end up with excessive amounts.
While glycine can be found in the rubbery and bony bits of the meat, you’re likely to end up eating a fraction of what’s needed, and an imbalance can potentially cause inflammatory reactions. Any drama is easily averted with a collagen supplement. So while we’re there, we might as well make it a worthy addition to the diet.
Collagen Zero Carb Ice Cream
- 30 g Vanilla Collagen Powder If you're using an unflavoured version, add stevia and vanilla extract into the mix.
- 1 tray Ice
- 1 tbsp Guar Gum Alternatively you can use Xantham gum, but at half the dose.
- 30 g Feta Cheese
- 30 g Sour Cream
- 30 g Stevia Brown Sugar Replacement There's always standard stevia drops or erithrytol blends.
- Blend these ingredients (except sugar) together, first on low, then high speed. Repeat until you get a consistent smooth texture.
- Free to set further, then use an ice cream scoop to serve. Add the sugar as preferred.
Hey, I’m Sama, a natural bodybuilder who’s bought into the perks of keto and intermittent fasting. Why? When combined, the boosting effect on mental energy is unrivalled on any other diet. And the fat loss isn’t bad either.
I’ve got a ton of recipes, guides and insights covering both diets, and you check them all out on my blog.
MORE HIGH PROTEIN, KETO-FRIENDLY RECIPES