The Apex Food
You might have thought getting your brains scrambled would be a terrible way to start the day, yet it’s anything but. In fact, part of the magic here is that you’re eating food that’s tailor-made to boost your brain cells.
This isn’t the first recipe on my site to use brain, so you may want to check out my pancake recipe. It comes with a full nutritional breakdown, some evolutionary musings, and rubbishes the anxiety people get overeating this organ.
So rather than trotting out the same details, I’ll keep it brief. You can eat brain without ending up in hospital or in prison. At least that’s the case with veal brain, which we’ll be using in this recipe.
In our ancestral past, the cuisine peaked with brain meat. In fact, it may have been the reason we made it to the top of the food chain. Since this organ was usually protected by a thick skull, most predators could never reach it.
At first, humans couldn’t either, until they crafted tools to break past the barrier. We had a resource that no-one else had, a food that was stacked in Omega 3 fats and a cluster of critical peptides and enzymes.
In short, we found a food that fuelled our cognitive demands. The human brain only got bigger from there.
Organ meats may have fallen out of fashion in the west, but they remain the pinnacle of nutrition. For the nervous and grossed out, it’s just a matter of getting past that first attempt. Brain itself is deliciously creamy, perfect for blending in with other carnivore foods.
The only difficulty is in getting hold of it. But there will be plenty of online stores that ship the whole set of organ meats, and there’s always a chance your local butcher, or Asian market, has some in stock.
It’s worth the effort. Like I said, it’s quite literally as healthy as healthy gets. And as a bonus, it tastes like a dream. I’ve added in a pinch of cream to add to the texture, but if you’re unsure about dairy, you can easily add in more tallow instead.
If life is about chasing novelty, you’ve got a box ticked off with this recipe. Good luck.
The Brain Recipe
Carnivore Scrambled Brain Recipe
- Cast Iron Frying Pan
- Large Bowl
- 150 g Veal Brain You can easily swap this for lamb brains
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Mascarpone
- 1 Tbsp Beef Dripping Also known as tallow
- 1/2 tsp Redmond Real Salt
- Soak the whole veal brain in a bowl of salt water for a couple of ours
- Remove the brain and take out any large nerves and skull fragments, then keep half of it (150g) in the freezer for another day.
- Bring the pot to boil, and dunk the remaining half of veal brain. Let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix the eggs and heavy cream, while melting the beef fat on a pan over medium heat. Take out the brain, cool it under the faucet, then slice into small chunks. Add the eggs and brain to the pan, stirring every now and then. Sprinkle in some salt in the meantime.
- After 5-10 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone. Then tuck in.
Macros Per ServingProtein - 18.6g Fat - 27.8g Carbs - 0g